Civil War Earthworks Constructed for Danville's ProtectionDanville residents, feeling vulnerable to enemy attack because of the vast amount of commissary and quartermaster supplies stored in their town and the presence of the Confederate arsenal, petitioned the town council in February 1863 to build fortifications. Little work was performed, however, until November when the first of more than 7,000 captured Union soldiers arrived from Richmond en route to six prisons converted from tobacco warehouses.
|Series||This marker is part of the Virginia Civil War Trails series|
|Placed By||Virginia Civil War Trails|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 5th, 2014 at 6:41am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 645170 N 4050241|
|Decimal Degrees||36.58661667, -79.37723333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 36° 35.197', W 79° 22.634'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||36° 35' 11.82" N, 79° 22' 38.04" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||434, 804|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 900-938 South Boston Rd, Danville VA 24540, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.