In 1873 the St Louis, Salem & Little Rock Railroad was completed from Cuba, forty-one miles south, to Salem at a cost of about $1,250,000. It was built to transport iron ore and lead from area mines to market, and later passenger service was added. In 1887, it was acquired by the St. Louis & San Francisco Railroad Co. and operated as the Salem branch of the "Frisco" line. Although the branch never reached Little Rock, it operated for over 100 years aiding the economy and allowing people to travel from town to town.
Sponsors: Anonymous Donor
Viva Cuba, Inc
Sculpture by : Glen & Curtis Tutterrow