? ? ? One of the three buildings constructed in 1828, this west dependency appears to have been a combination smokehouse / icehouse when it was originally built. Located a convenient distance from the basement kitchen, it is built of brick, wood, slate, and stone. With a basement "pit" that is 12 feet deep, constructed of 12 inch thick stones, it appears that storing ice was it's primary purpose. Ice was probably loaded through the shuttered window close to the west drive. The buildings original appearance probably included a steep exterior stair to the second story door. The double thickness floor, with plaster covering, served to insulate the icehouse while providing minimal protection from fire. The second story has a firebox in the northeast corner, and a revolving rack in the center of the room. It would seem plausible that this story was used for smoking meats or fowl, or drying herbs or crops. With the advent of modern conveniences in the last half of the 19th century, the function of both the icehouse and smokehouse became redundant. The building was then used as a storage or garden shed, which it is used for today.