Historical Marker Series

Maryland: Gwynns Falls Trail

Showing results 1 to 10 of 23
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM10L_mount-clare-the-georgia-plantation_Baltimore-MD.html
In the late 1760's, the Mount Clare mansion was built by Charles Carroll, Barrister and his wife, Margaret Tilghman, as their summer home. The mansion was located on the grounds of the original plantation, Georgia, and included an orangery, orchards, fields…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM2QA_rowhouses-a-baltimore-tradition_Baltimore-MD.html
In Baltimore's early years, the Gwynns Falls lay beyond the city's settled area. During the 19th century, rapid population growth pushed the boundaries westward by annexing new areas in the valley and then beyond. Through the years of expansion, the rowhous…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM35X_ellicott-flour-mills_Baltimore-MD.html
The Ellicott Driveway portion of the Gwynns Falls trail follows the route of a millrace that carried water to a flour-milling complex owned by the Ellicott family. In the 1800s, 26 gristmills along the Gwynns Falls and other on the Jones Falls and Patapsco …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM3R4_franklintowns-historic-roots_Baltimore-MD.html
The Gwynns Falls Trail begins near Franklintown at the abrupt end of Interstate 70 and passes by two of the community's landmarks, a mill and an inn. The gristmill operated on Dead Run from 1761 to 1934. Franklintown Inn accommodated patrons of a racetrack …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM3R8_crimea-estate_Baltimore-MD.html
In the mid-1800s this meadow and hillside were part of Thomas Winans' country estate, the Crimea. After returning from Russia, where he helped build the St. Petersburg-Moscow railroad, Winans established this estate. He and his Russian-born wife, Celeste, a…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM3RA_a-name-before-a-place_Baltimore-MD.html
Leakin Park had a name before it had a place. At his death in 1922 John Wilson Leakin left the city several downtown properties to be sold so land could he purchased for apark. The city deferred action because of existing leases, the Great Depression, and a…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM3RB_dickeyvilles-historic-legacy_Baltimore-MD.html
Dickeyville has been known by several other names - Tschudi, Franklinville, Wetheredville, Hillsdale - depending on who owned the grist, paper, or textile mills powered by the Gwynns Falls. Both the Wethereds and Dickeys ran their mill operations as a compa…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM3RD_an-old-mill-stream_Baltimore-MD.html
If you were standing here in the early 1800s, you would have been listening to the waterwheel humming away at the Windsor Mill across this bridge. This section of the Gwynns Falls Trail is built over a three-mile millrace that carried water to power the Fiv…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM3RH_leon-day-park_Baltimore-MD.html
This park is named for Leon Day, an outstanding player in the Negro Leagues who was elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame. A resident of southwest Baltimore, Day joined the Baltimore Black Sox in 1934 when African Americans could not play in the Maj…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM3RM_bridging-gwynns-falls_Baltimore-MD.html
The lofty, triple-arched Baltimore Street Bridge was built here in 1932 to provide better access across the Gwynns Falls Valley to the city's rapidly developing west side. Earlier, the Frederick Turnpike crossed farther south on a relatively short, low brid…
PAGE 1 OF 3