Dickeyville has been known by several other names - Tschudi, Franklinville, Wetheredville, Hillsdale - depending on who owned the grist, paper, or textile mills powered by the Gwynns Falls. Both the Wethereds and Dickeys ran their mill operations as a company village that provided housing, churches, schools, and a retail store in return for a stable labor force willing to accept low wages. In 1934 the entire complex of two mills and 81 houses was sold at auction. The village was restored as one of the earliest historic preservation districts in the area.
Former homes of textile workers on the eve of restoration, 1936.
Double houses, or duplexes, for textile workers and their families, 1920s.
Franklin Mills (below, which was converted from manufacturing paper to textiles, 1920s.