July 19, 1864. Dodge's 16th A.C., having camped on N. Fork Peachtree Cr., moved S. on old Shallowford Rd. to this point where it joined Schofield's 23d, which had marched S.E. from Goodwin's Crossing (Brookhaven), along roads now designated Briarwood & N. Druid Hills.The 23d, occupying the road, Dodge made shift to reach Decatur by cutting a parallel road-crossing S. Fork, Peachtree Cr., at Mason's Mill, present site of the Decatur Water Works.
South of the creek, the skirmishers of both corps were assailed by Wheeler's cav. (CS) as they moved toward the Decatur Public Square.