Historical Marker Series

Georgia: Georgia Historical Society/Commission

Showing results 1 to 10 of 1883
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMAT_cavalry-action-at-buckhead-church_Millen-GA.html
On Nov. 28, 1864, the 3rd Cavalry Division Union Brig. Gen. J. L. Kilpatrick, USA, was driven south from Waynesboro by the Cavalry Corps, Army of Tennessee Confederate Maj. Gen. Joseph Wheeler, CSA. Retreating under constant harassment by Wheeler's men, Kil…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMAY_confederate-prison-camp_Blackshear-GA.html
Here stood a Confederate prison camp for Union prisoners of war. Established about November 18, 1864, the camp held more than five thousand prisoners until the first week of January, 1865. These prisoners were brought here from camps at Millen and probably …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMEV_cobb-county_Marietta-GA.html
Created December 3, 1832, and named for Judge Thomas W. Cobb, a former U.S. Senator, Marietta was named for his wife. Fertile lands gave impetus to farming; ample water power encouraged industries. People from further south sought Marietta as a summer re…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMEW_robert-mcafee-house_Marietta-GA.html
After the seizure of Big Shanty (Kennesaw) by Sherman's forces, June 9, 1864, Brig. Gen. Kenner Garrard's cav. div. [US] was posted on the left flank during operations on the Kennesaw Mountain front. Garrard's cav. guarded Noonday Creek valley from Woods…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMEX_federal-15th-corps_Kennesaw-GA.html
June 19, 1864. Maj. Gen. John A Logan's 15th A. C. * was deployed astride this, the old Marietta road; Smith's 2d div., N. E. of it; Osterhaus' 1st, S. W.; Harrow's 4th, in reserve. This was the 2d & final sector held by Sherman's left wing on the Kennesaw …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMEY_udc-and-kennesaw-house_Marietta-GA.html
The Kennesaw Chapter United Daughters of the Confederacy was organized July 29, 1898, in the parlors of the Kennesaw House on the second floor corner nearest the railroad station. Mrs. R. L. Nesbitt was elected the first president. There were forty women at…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1K1_blood-mountain_Ellijay-GA.html
Blood Mountain, elevation 4458 ft. Chattahoochee National Forest. In Cherokee mythology the mountain was one of the homes of the Nunnehi or Immortals, the "People Who Live Anywhere," a race of Spirit People who lived in great townhouses in the highlands of …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM21L_creek-agency-old-agency_Roberta-GA.html
Here on the Flint River was the headquarters of the Agent for Indian Affairs South of Ohio until the area was acquired by Georgia in the Creek cession of Jan. 24, 1826. Here Benjamin Hawkins and David B. Mitchell, Agents, resided and in 1804 and 1818 negoti…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM21W_mcintosh-house_Flovilla-GA.html
Across the highway stands the inn built about 1823 by William McIntosh, half-breed chief of the Lower Creek Indians. Here on February 12, 1825, McIntosh and other chiefs signed the Second Treaty of Indian Springs, giving up their last Georgia land. Hopo…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM245_shermans-right-at-indian-springs_Flovilla-GA.html
On Nov. 17, 1864, the 15th Corps, leading the Right Wing of Gen. Sherman's army (US) on its March to the Sea. marched from McDonough to Jackson. Below Locust Grove (16 mi. NW), Woods' and Hazen's divisions turned right to avoid Jackson and camped at Liberty…
PAGE 1 OF 189