Washington Artillery, Longstreet's Command,
Col. J. B. Walton Commanding.
(September 17, 1862.)
During the forenoon the Washington Artillery was engaged with the enemy's heavy batteries on the opposite side of Antietam Creek. At 9:15, the 3d Company, Miller, was sent to Piper's Orchard and engaged the enemy in the Bloody Lane. At noon the 4th Company, Eshelman, was moved farther to the right to guard the fords below the Burnside Bridge. At 1 p.m., the 2d Company, Richardson, having a gun disabled, was withdrawn to Sharpsburg from the high ground commanding the Burnside Bridge. Between 2 and 3 p.m., upon the advance of the enemy, the 1st Company, Squires, was withdrawn in the town, and by the 3d Company which had returned from the Bloody Lane, moved to the Harper's Ferry Road to assist Toombs' Brigade in checking the advance of the Ninth Corps.