Battery G, 4th U.S. Artillery
Lieut. Marcus P. Miller, U.S.A. Commanding
(September 17, 1862.)
Battery G, 4th U.S. Artillery, belonged to the Artillery Reserve, which was attached to the Fifth Army Corps. On the morning of the 17th, the battery was in the field just east of Porterstown. About 3 p.m., under orders of Brigadier General Geo. Sykes, it reported to Major General Burnside and was put in position on the high ground east of the Rohrbach Lane, from which it overlooked and commanded the approaches to the stone bridge over the Antietam. The Battery was not actively engaged.