Battle of Appomattox StationConfederate Gen. Robert E. Lee's Army of Norther Virginia began the retreat west from Richmond and Petersburg on April 3, 1865, with about 250 cannon. Two days later, at Amelia Court House, about a hundred of the least effective pieces were culled from the army and placed under Gen. Reuben L. Walker, who was directed to march north of the main army and west toward Lynchburg. Lee hoped to reach North Carolina to combine his army with that of Confederate Gen. Joseph E. Johnston.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Placed By||Virginia Civil War Trails|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, June 27th, 2015 at 6:03pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 692469 N 4137608|
|Decimal Degrees||37.36525000, -78.82653333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 21.915', W 78° 49.592'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 21' 54.9" N, 78° 49' 35.52" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 249 Jamerson Ln, Appomattox VA 24522, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|