Surry CountySurry County, named for the county of Surrey in England, was formed from James City County about 1652. The Quiyoughcohannocks, whose villages were primarily situated in present-day Surry County, were among the first Virginia Indians the English encountered in 1607. By 1609 the English had begun settlements in the county at Hog Island and Smith's Fort, a defensive fortification erected on the south side of the James River along Gray's Creek. One of the nation's outstanding examples of high-style 17th-century domestic architecture, Bacon's Castle, a Nation Historic Landmark, is located here. The County seat is Surry.
Isle of Wight CountyOriginally called Warrosquyoake County, for the Warraskoyack Indians who lived here. Isle of Wight County was one of the original eight shires (counties) recognized in Virginia by 1634. It was renamed Isle of Wight in 1637, probably for the island off the south coast of England. Led by Capt. Christopher Lawne, the English first settled here in 1619 on Lawne's Creek. A part of the county became Southampton County in 1749 while a portion of Nansemond County was added to Isle of Wight County in 1769. St. Luke's Church, a National Historic Landmark, is located here. Isle of Wight is the county seat.