—316-318 East Mitchell —The Coburn building, constructed in 1892, is home to both the 316 and 318 addresses. The 316 address was originally housed by hardware stores run by a variety of men who partnered with Sydney Bump. His partners were Henry Easton, John Walrond, and George Mcabe. By 1935 Cook Electric began its forty-three year occupation of this site. The famous Cook Electric sign painted on the side of the building served as a navigational device for visitors to Petoskey. The 318 location in the mid 1890's housed C.C. Hamill Grocery followed by Nathan Stone, undertaker, in 1919. Leismer's Ben Franklin, Northern Office Suppliers, The City News Stand, and Hilton's News Stand were all tenants during the years from 1936 through 1987. Beginning in 1988 a variety of real estate agents operated from this location. In 2008 the Grand Traverse Pie Company opened at the 316 location and started their business. Kosch Properties from Traverse City purchased the property and authentically restored the façade in 2003.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Placed By||Little Traverse Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Monday, September 19th, 2016 at 9:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16T E 660013 N 5026513|
|Decimal Degrees||45.37385000, -84.95643333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 45° 22.431', W 84° 57.386'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||45° 22' 25.86" N, 84° 57' 23.16" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 324 County Rd C-58, Petoskey MI 49770, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|