Steam was used to heat the new cellblock and administration wing added to the prison in 1889. Though the boiler was only intended to serve the new addition it heated the entire prison (both cellblocks). Working beyond its capacity, the old boiler needed repairs by 1898.
Mr. Cook, a plumber hired by the prison, reported "the boiler now in use was in dangerous condition and was not large enough to heat both wings of the prison and supply hot water for bathing and laundry work ... in its present condition, the boiler could be blown up by a convict in charge and that it was a menace to the safety of the institution.
By September of 1898, plans were made to install a new, 35-horse power, tubular boiler. The new boiler house and smoke stack appears behind the man and bull in the photograph to the left.
Prisoners made bricks for the boiler house and chimney, excavating a foundation for it between the prison and broom factory (the broom factory is seen in the photograph to the right). The inmates also excavated tunnels for the pipes laid to the penitentiary and broom factory. These pipes supplied heat and hot water for bathing and laundry.
New steam radiators were installed to heat the broom factory previously heated by wood and coal stoves. The new boiler plant and installation of pipe and radiators cost $1,975.00.
photographs were taken shortly after 1907 when the University of Wyoming operated an experimental stock farm on the prison grounds (inmates were removed from this facility in 1903 and transferred to the Frontier Prison in Rawlins. WY).