1818 ~ 1819
The Earliest known school in the Blairsville Area was one headed by R.Y. Russell. Conducted in a converted corn crib on the farm of James Hogg, about one mile from this site.
1830 ~ 1867
About 1830 Rev. Aaron Williams, Pastor of the Bullock's Creek Orthodox Presbyterian Church, established an academy near this site. The school, later known as the Blairsville Academy was headed by Rev. R.Y. Russell, Pastor of the Independent Presbyterian Church from about 1855 to 1860. Several others succeeded Russell to 1867.
1867 ~ 1924
The Blairsville School was operated on various sites in the area from 1867 to the development of the
Public School System. In 1904 William Beard was contracted to build a new school on this site. With later additions it continued to 1924 when it was consolidated with the Sharon School, this school. This school has been restored and is presently located on the campus of the Hickory Grove ~ Sharon School.
the Athena Club of Sharon erected a marker about 1970 to commerate the Blairsville School. After the marker was destroyed in 1999, this monument was erected under the direction of the Broad River Basin Historical Society, in Mar. 2000.