[Medallions, top row]
Milton - Sophocles - Shakespeare - Socrates - Dante - Homer
[Statues, anti-clockwise from the top left]
Colonel R.C. Moody1813-1887Commander of Royal Engineers in 1858, erected New Westminster as capital of B.C., planned the Cariboo Road.
David Thompson1770 - 1857Greatest of fur trade explorers. In 1812 traversed Kootenay area, descended the Columbia from source to mouth.
Sir Anthony Musgrave1828 - 1888Expedited entrance of British Columbia into Confederation in 1869. Last Colonial Governor.
Lord Lytton1803 - 1873British Secretary of State for Colonies in 1858. Created mainland B.C. colony, consequent on the gold rush.
Simon Fraser1776 - 1862Founded first trading posts west of the Rockies, and explored the river now bearing his name in 1808.
Sir Alexander MacKenzie1764 - 1820Partner in North West Company and explorer in 1793. First white man traversing continent north of Mexico.
Sir Francis Drake1540 - 1596Circumnavigator of the globe. British activity in North Pacific began with his voyage in 1579.
Sir James Douglas1803 - 1877Founder of Fort Victoria in 1843. The "Father of British Columbia," having served at various times as head of the four colonial jurisdictions now composing British Columbia.
Captain James Cook1728 - 1779First white man to set foot in British Columbia., landing at Nootka Sound in 1776.
Dr. John Sebastian Helmcken1824 - 1920Pioneer surgeon arriving at Fort Victoria in 1850. Speaker of the House, 1856-66, and negotiated terms of confederation.
Dr. John McLoughlin1784 - 1857Chief Factor of Hudson's Bay Company's Columbia department prior to the boundary treaty of 1848.
Sir Matthew Begbie1818 - 1894First Judge on the Mainland Colony of British Columbia in 1858 during the gold rush.
Captain George Vancouver1757 - 1798Led British expedition of 1790 resolving conflict with Spain at Nootka Sound. Surveyed the coastal area.
Chief MaquinnaNootka chief who welcomed first white man landing on Vancouver Island in 1778.
This plaque identifies the figures seen in the niches and medallions of the Library Wing immediately to the north of this cairn.
Unveiled by The Hon. W.N. Chant, Minister of Public Works
Designed and erected by the staff of the Department of Pubic Works.