Born in 1793, Solomon Juneau, a French Canadian agent for the American Fur Company and founder of the City of Milwaukee, established one of his outlying trading posts in this vicinity along the east branch of the Rock River in the early 1830s. He named it "Theresa" in honor of his mother. In 1847, after helping to develop Milwaukee and serving as mayor, Juneau turned his attention to the pretty spot near the Rock River where he had a trading post and constructed this Greek Revival house, which he and his wife Josette called their "summer retreat." In 1848, Juneau platted the Village of Theresa, opened a general store and soon constructed a dam for his grist and sawmill. In 1852, the Juneau family moved permanently to Theresa. Josette died in 1855 and Solomon Juneau died a year later. The Juneau House is the last remaining home of Solomon Juneau. It was moved 200 feet from its original location and is maintained by the Theresa Historical Society as a house museum.