The courthouse, built in 1801, was designed by the prominent Irish architect Francis Johnston. Johnston also designed the General Post Office and Nelson's Pillar in Dublin, and Townley Hall, County Louth.
A Vantage Point to the Past
Several important landmarks of Kells recent history can be seen from this vantage point in front of the courthouse. Located to the west of the courthouse we find Headfort Place - a wide, tree-lined avenue of Georgian houses - the Headfort estate agent's house b.1880 (currently the Eureka Girls School), and the red-brick estate office b.1872 (currently a petrol station). Dublin Gate, one of the five gates of the medieval town wall, was once situated in the area near the petrol station.