In this cemetery, during the last year of the War Between the States, a number of Confederate soldiers, 17 of them unknown, were buried. Memorial services for these soldiers were held as early as 1869. In 1871, on Memorial Day, April 26, a group of orphans from the Confederate Home, Lauderdale, Miss., attended the services. One child, by chance, found the grave of her father. In 1873 the Ladies Memorial Association was formed. This became the Quitman Memorial Association and is now the Quitman Chapter, Daughters of the Confederacy, who own and maintain this cemetery.