This Church was organized by the Rev. Charles O. Screven at Harris Neck, 7 miles West of here, during the early 1800's. As the Harris Neck Baptist Church, it was admitted to the Sunbury Baptist Association November 12, 1824. In the early 1830's, the Church was moved to this site and became the South Newport Baptist Church. On December 9, 1841, the South Newport Baptist Church was chartered, the Trustees named: Charles W. Thorpe, Gideon B. Dean, Thomas K. Gould. William J. Cannon, Henry J. White. The present edifice is the second erected on this site.