Ante-bellum residence of Benjamin F. Swanton; once the property of Ammi Williams, a DeKalb County pioneer. Built prior to 1842.
In 1864 the Swanton family was in residence here when the Federal Army of the Tennessee occupied Decatur. This force consisted of the 15th, 16th & 17th Corps, commanded by Gen. J.B. McPherson, which had crossed the Chattahoochee at Roswell. Enroute to Atlanta they camped at Decatur, night of July 19.
Brig. Gen. Thomas W. Sweeny, comdg. 2d div. of Dodge's 16th A.C. established h'dq'rs at the Swanton house - as recorded in the diary of J.P. Snell, 52d Ill., h'dq'rs clerk & war-corres.