After having split from the Presbyterian Church of Harrisburg in 1858, the newly formed congregation, which built this church, first met in the Chambers of the Pennsylvania State Senate. Completed in 1860, the limestone-constructed Pine Street Presbyterian Church was designed in the English gothic style by Harrisburg architect Luther M. Simon and was a remembered part of the cityscape for Union soldiers encamped in Capitol Park across the street. The building was further enhanced in a more exuberant expression of the Gothic tradition when in 1926 the renowned New York and Boston architectural firm of Cram and Ferguson removed the second floor sanctuary, relocated it on the ground floor of the building and raised the roof, creating a striking clerestory space reminiscent of the medieval English church. The vast interior is awe-inspiring through the richly carved woodwork, exposed beams and rafters, beautifully executed collection of stained glass windows and fine acoustics particularly experienced through the sound of the church's grand pipe organ. Many sacred and secular musical performances by nationally and internationally know artists are held here.
Post card view of the Church's Third Street facade from Capitol Park prior to the 1926 renovations
Bottom Left Photo
1901 view showing the Church prior to the raising of the roof to the current clerestory configuration.
Bottom Right Photo
Early drawing of the Church shortly after its construction.