The eighth town in the Colony incorporated before 17OO, Colchester received its charter in 1698. Among the early settlers from Wethersfield was Nathaniel Foote, whose ancestors came from Colchester, England. He obtained a deed for the land from the sachem of the Mohegan Indians.
Colonel Henry Champion of Westchester became the Chief Commissary of the Continental army during the Revolutionary War. Responding to an urgent plea from General Washington, he rushed meat from his own cattle to the troops near starvation at Valley Forge.
Doctor John R. Watrous was an army surgeon during the entire Revolution. He became Colchester's most prominent and benevolent citizen, making the welfare of State and Town his prime interest.
( back )
Bacon Academy, noted as an institution of higher learning in the 1800's, had tuition pupils come from all sections of the Nation. Many who became men of national reputation were graduated.
The first school for blacks in the State was held in Colchester from about 1805 to the 1840's.
The Hayward Rubber Company (1847-1893), founded by Nathaniel Hayward, brought the greatest prosperity to the Town from a nationwide business in rubber goods, especially the famous "Colchester Spading Boot".
Erected by the
Town of Colchester
the Colchester Historical Society
and the Connecticut Historical Commission