Father of Burnett County
— April 14, 1830 - July 31, 1893 —Canute Anderson was born Canute Ingverson Eggum in Laerdal, Norway. He arrived in the Grantsburg area in 1854, establishing a stopping place and trading post where the buildings southeast of this marker stand. Opening the first post office in his home, he was appointed Postmaster. He married Catherine Nelson, a Swedish immigrant, and to this union twelve children were born. Establishing the Village of Grantsburg, he built a saw and flour mill, store, and hotel. When Burnett County was reorganized he was appointed Clerk of Court by the Governor, and served as presidential elector. Elected to the Assembly, he represented the six northwestern counties. He later helped bring the railroad into Grantsburg. Founder of the original Burnett County Fair, he served as first president of the Burnett County Agricultural Society. In 1860 he built a school at this location, in which the first Swedish Baptist Church in Wisconsin was organized. Later he donated the land and helped organize the St. Olaf Lutheran Church, which is now the Bethany Lutheran Church. At the time of his death he was chairman of the combined townships of Anderson and Grantsburg.
|Placed By||The Grantsburg Area Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Monday, September 29th, 2014 at 4:49pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15T E 524743 N 5063942|
|Decimal Degrees||45.72860000, -92.68200000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 45° 43.716', W 92° 40.92'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||45° 43' 42.96" N, 92° 40' 55.20" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 13573-13599 Assembly Dr, Grantsburg WI 54840, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.