Established 1861In 1919, Bank President J. Russell Wheeler and his wife, Anna May Wheeler, retained Architect Louis Sullivan. Known as the father of the skyscraper, Sullivan was to design a building that would give the bank an image of financial security, civic monumentality, and community activity. This building is the result of that endeavor. Sullivan referred to it as his "Jewel Box". It was the last of eight mid-western banks that he designed and it was his last building commission.
|Series||This marker is part of the National Historic Landmarks series|
|Placed By||Columbus Historic Preservation Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 26th, 2014 at 3:50am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16T E 336616 N 4800413|
|Decimal Degrees||43.33881667, -89.01558333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 43° 20.329', W 89° 0.935'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||43° 20' 19.74" N, 89° 0' 56.10" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 159 W James St, Columbus WI 53925, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.