Marker Panel 1: on the lawn, off the sidewalk, north side of Constitution Avenue, NW:
National Academy of Sciences
National Academy of Engineering
Institute of Medicine
National Research Council.
Marker Panel 2: on the exterior wall, west side of the south entrance - off the sidewalk, south side of C Street, NW:
Inscription on the exterior wall, east side of the south entrance:
The National Academy of Sciences Building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the National Park Service, United States Department of the Interior March 15, 1974
The National Academy of Sciences was established by the United States Congress in 1863. This building dates from 1924, with wings added in the 1960s. It houses offices of the National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, Institute of Medicine, and National Research Council, private nonprofit organizations dedicated to the furtherance of science, engineering and medicine for the public welfare.