Highest point on the island, 325 feet above the straits and 168 feet above Fort Mackinac.
Built by the British soon after the capture of Fort Mackinac, July 17, 1812. British named it Fort George, after the reigning English King, George III. Renamed by the Americans Fort Holmes, after Major Andrew Hunter Holmes, who was killed in the Battle of Mackinac Island, August 4, 1814, in an attempt to take the fort from the British. The blockhouse, central feature of the fort, was destroyed by the Americans after the war, but was later restored. Destroyed by fire in 1933, restored to its original form by the Mackinac Island State Park Commission, 1936.