Harrison and Martha Ann McKinney Slaughter acquired 120 acres in this area from Jessie Sumner, May 20, 1862. The settlement that developed here was first called Slaughter after this pioneer family. Over time it became known as Clay Sink for the clay sinkhole that is in the area.
This cemetery was established on this hill of moss draped oaks in 1873 when the Slaughters buried their infant daughter here. Many of the early settlers and their descendants are buried here. It is now maintained in perpetuity by the Clay Sink Cemetery Association, Inc. On February 19, 1897 the Clay Sink Missionary Baptist Church was organized with twenty-one members with Elder G.A. Bryant, Moderator. In 1904, a wood frame building was erected on this site and served the congregation until the present pine building was constructed in 1956.
The one room Slaughter/Clay Sink school building was built in 1912 on Cobb Slough and moved in 1915 to this site that was donated by William Henry and Joanna Slaughter Boyett. It became the fellowship hall for the church in 1943 when the school closed due to consolidation. The teacher's raised platform remains a part of the structure.
The early settlers who were charter members of the church: Slaughters, Sumners, Boyetts, Sapps, Robbins, McKinneys, Hardins, Mobleys, Gays and Weeks. Descendants of these families still live in the area.