Historical Marker Series

Postal Mail and Philately

Showing results 1 to 10 of 131
On April 6, 1926, Varney Air Lines pilot Leon Cuddeback, carrying one bag of mail, landed his tiny Curtis Swallow bi-plane at Elko, Nevada, completing the first scheduled air mail run in the United States. The single engine, 90-horsepower aircraft had ta…
Founded in 1786 by Charles Washington, brother of the President. Here John Brown was tried and convicted of treason. Home of W. L. Wilson, Postmaster General, 1896, who here started the first rural free delivery in America.
Here was Newpost, headquarters of Alexander Spotswood (Governor of Virginia, 1710-22), Deputy Postmaster General for the colonies, 1730-39. Spotswood also had an iron furnace here.
On the site of this Post Office stood the Jefferson County Jail where John Brown and his fellow prisoners were confined after their raid on Harpers Ferry in October 1859. After court trial John Brown was taken from the Jail here to his death on the gallo…
In the United States was inaugurated by the post office department on December 20, 1899 covering the whole of Carroll County and small parts of adjacent counties with Westminster as the central distributing point.
Here, on September 6, 1918, Bryans' Air Mail Field began oeprations as one of Ohio's first official airfields ith the arrival of a survey flight to establish air mail service between New York and Chicago. Scheduled servcie began on July 1, 1919, and stretch…
Constructed in 1892 this was the first federal building in San Jos?. It served as U.S. post office from 1892 to 1933. Designed by Willoughby Edbrooke and constructed of locally quarried sandstone, this Romanesque style structure, built by the United States …
A post office was established in this community in 1827. For many years it did a large shipping business by water. The coming of the railroad in the 1850s resulted in an even greater demand for postal services. For more than a century the post office was ho…
This structure, designed by James A. Wetmore and completed in 1932, is the second post office to occupy this site. Erected at a cost of $3.3 million, the neo-classical building, with its marble halls and paneled court-rooms, contained the most modern equipm…
The road from New England to Charleston, over which mail was first carried regularly in North Carolina, 1738-39, passed near this spot.
PAGE 1 OF 14