Historical Marker Series

D.S. Freeman (Richmond Battlefields)

Showing results 1 to 10 of 58
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM97P_ellersons-mill_Mechanicsville-VA.html
From this main position above Ellerson's Mill, the Federal regulars who had stopped the Confederate advance of June 26, 1862 withdrew during the night, having discovered that "Stonewall" Jackson was turning their right flank.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM97Q_walnut-grove-church_Mechanicsville-VA.html
Here, on the morning of June 27, 1862, as he was directing the pursuit of McClellan's right wing, Robert E. Lee met "Stonewall" Jackson whose Army of the Valley arrived to join in the attack on the Federals the same afternoon.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM97R_new-cold-harbor_Mechanicsville-VA.html
Around this crossroads is bloody ground. To the right is the field of Gaines' Mill or First Cold Harbor, fought June 27, 1862, with 14,800 casualties. To the left is Second Cold Harbor, near which 17,00 fell, May 30 - June 12, 1864.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM97S_the-watt-house_Mechanicsville-VA.html
Entrenched in three lines on this plateau, the right wing of McClellan's army, withdrawn from Beaver Dam Creek, resisted Confederate attacks on June 27, 1862 until driven back at nightfall by a general assault.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM97V_whitings-advance_Mechanicsville-VA.html
Near this point, between the brigades of Martindale and Butterfield, Confederate forces first penetrated the main Federal position in the Battle of Gaines' Mill, June 27, 1862. The Fourth Texas Regiment led the charge.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM97W_gaines-mill_Mechanicsville-VA.html
Near this spot stood the mill that gave its name to the battle of June 27, 1862 also called "First Cold Harbor". About 1500 yards SSW was the home of Dr. Gaines, where the United States Army had its balloon station.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM97Y_savage-station_Sandston-VA.html
In the field beyond this marker was fought June 29, 1862, the battle of Savage Station in which Confederate forces under command of Major-General John B. Magruder attacked indecisively the rearguard of the Federal Army moving toward James River. This was th…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM980_the-trent-house_Sandston-VA.html
In the residence of Dr. Peterfield Trent, situated about 500 yards from this road, General G.B. McClellan, U.S.A., had his headquarters in May-June, 1862. Here he planned the withdrawal to James River.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM981_riddells-shop_Henrico-VA.html
West and Southwest, distant one-half mile lies the Battlefield of Glendale or Frazier's Farm, where the Confederate divisions of Longstreet and A.P. Hill on June 30, 1862, attacked and forced the withdrawal of Federal troops covering McClellan's march towar…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM982_fraziers-farm_Henrico-VA.html
Here, on the Charles City Road, the Confederate forces of Major General Benjamin Huger in their attempt to intercept the Federal withdrawal to the James opened with artillery the Battle of Frazier's Farm, June 30, 1862.
PAGE 1 OF 6