Historical Marker Series

Ohio: Delaware County Historical Society

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM89U_camp-delaware_Delaware-OH.html
Near this site, the Union army established two camps on either side of the Olentangy River during the Civil War. Both were known as Camp Delaware. The first camp, situated on the west side of the river in the summer of 1862, was where the white recruits of …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM8AG_university-hall-and-gray-chapel_Delaware-OH.html
University Hall was completed in 1893. It is constructed of Amherst Sandstone. The bell tower rises to a height of 148 feet. The structure houses administrative offices, classrooms, and the legendary Gray Chapel. Among the celebrities who have appeared here…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM8AM_oak-grove-cemetery-and-arboretum_Delaware-OH.html
In 1850, this eighty acre tract known as the Kilbourne farm was purchased for use as a cemetery. The "Old Burial Grounds," located where Ohio Wesleyan's Selby Stadium now stands, had deteriorated and most of those remains were removed to Oak Grove Cemetery.…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM8AN_old-city-hall-and-opera-house_Delaware-OH.html
The old city hall opened in 1882. Its clock tower rose to a height of 92ft. The first floor housed administrative offices, the police department, the jail, and the fire department. A 1,050 seat auditorium known as the Opera House graced the second floor. It…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM8AP_edwards-gymnasium-home-of-high-school-basketball-tournaments_Delaware-OH.html
Edwards GymnasiumThe gym was dedicated February 22, 1906. It is named in memory of OWU Trustee John Edwards whose initial gift made its construction possible. At the time of its completion it was considered the largest and finest basketball facility in the …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMBYV_courthouse-hill-the-plum-orchard_Delaware-OH.html
(Side A):Courthouse HillIn the early years of Delaware, this area was known as Briar Hill. It is the highest elevation in the city. Situated facing south and approximately at the center of the existing Courthouse, was the site of the first Delaware County C…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMC06_the-delaware-county-fair-little-brown-jug_Delaware-OH.html
Side AThe Delaware County Fairground June 28, 1833 a meeting of the citizens of Delaware County convened under an act of the Ohio Legislature to establish The Delaware County Agricultural Society. Officers were elected with Milo Pettibone being president, …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMC0J_site-of-the-first-ohio-state-football-game_Delaware-OH.html
On the morning of May 3, 1890, Ohio Wesleyan University and The Ohio State University met at this location for a football game. It was the first game in Ohio State football history. Ohio Wesleyan had invited the newly organized team to a contest as part of …
PAGE 1 OF 1