Historical Marker Series

Ohio and Erie Canal

Showing results 1 to 10 of 15
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1BE_the-ohio-erie-canal-in-tuscarawas-county_New-Philadelphia-OH.html
1825-1913. Seeking an alternative transportation route to distant markets, many farmers and manufacturers in Ohio wanted to connect the Ohio River to Lake Erie with a canal. Beginning in Cleveland the Ohio-Erie Canal ran south, the length of the state, to P…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1BM_the-ohio-erie-canal-in-warwick-township_Gnadenhutten-OH.html
The greatest engineering achievement in Ohio during the pre-railroad era, the Ohio & Erie Canal traversed nearly six miles of Warwick Township. Completed in 1830, the canal brought prosperity to the village of Trenton (now Tuscarawas) and to township farmer…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM7XU_junction-of-the-ohio-erie-and-lancaster-lateral-canals_Carroll-OH.html
Canals were an important means of transportation when Carroll was founded in 1829 by William Tong and his brother Oliver, who chose this site because it was where the proposed intersection of the Lancaster Lateral Canal and Ohio-Erie Canal would be construc…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM7Z2_the-ohio-erie-canal-and-the-twin-cities-the-ohio-erie-canal-and-the-dry-dock-lock_Baltimore-OH.html
The Ohio & Erie Canal and the "Twin Cities" On this site the Ohio & Erie Canal flowed south and down-level under the Market Street Bridge. Nearby Pawpaw Creek and the canal culturally divided the Swiss settlers to the west in Basil and the Virginia pioneers…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM83D_groveport-log-house_Groveport-OH.html
Built on Main Street, circa 1815, this two story log residence was later sided. In 1974 during new post office site preparation, the log structure was discovered and moved to present location along Ohio-Erie Canal route. In adjoining Groveport Cemetery a mo…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM83L_canal-winchester-and-the-ohio-and-erie-canal_Canal-Winchester-OH.html
[Marker Front]:You are standing on the site of Ohio and Erie Canal. The canal helped to open the interior of Ohio to trade and settlement and played a part in Winchester's prosperity during the mid-1800s. Local farmers exported grain from the village via th…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM86F_ohio-and-erie-canal-in-groveport-scioto-valley-interurban_Groveport-OH.html
Ohio and Erie Canal in GroveportThe Ohio and Erie Canal was Ohio's solution to the lack of a reliable and fast transportation system to move goods to outside markets. The canal opened in the then unplatted village of Groveport on September 25, 1831 and cont…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM8BW_ohio-erie-canal-and-locks-the-columbus-feeder-canal_Lockbourne-OH.html
Ohio-Erie Canal and LocksThe Ohio-Erie Canal was built between 1825 and 1832 and extended 308 miles from Lake Erie at Cleveland to the Ohio River at Portsmouth. The greatest engineering achievement in Ohio up to that time, the canal gave the state's farmers…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM8DA_buckeye-lake_Buckeye-Lake-OH.html
[Marker Front]:Formed by the retreating glacier more than 14,000 years ago, Buckeye Lake first existed as a shallow, swampy pond, named "Buffalo Swamp" by Ohio Company explorer Christopher Gist in 1751. Beginning in 1826 the State developed it as a water so…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM8WF_ohio-and-erie-canal-lock-22_Groveport-OH.html
The Ohio and Erie Canal Lock 22, constructed from 1830-1831, is the only canal lock in Groveport. Constructed by W.H. Richardson as part of his $2,937 bid to build section 52 of the canal, the sandstone lock is 117 feet long and ten feet deep and has a sixt…
PAGE 1 OF 2