Historical Marker Series

Chickamauga Campaign Heritage Trail

Showing results 1 to 10 of 15
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM7QI_catletts-gap_LaFayette-GA.html
Pigeon Mountain is a rugged spur of Lookout Mountain, extending in a northeasterly direction into Walker County. The space between it and Lookout Mountain is McLemore's Cove. During the war, wagon roads passed from east to west through the mountains in a se…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM7QJ_gowans-gowers-ford-and-widow-glenns-grave_Chickamauga-GA.html
In mid-September 1863, General John M. Palmer's division of the 21st Army Corps was assigned to the duty of guarding the fords on West Chickamauga Creek. A primary Federal objective was keeping the Confederates on the east side of the creek while the federa…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM7RB_actions-at-ringgold_Ringgold-GA.html
On September 11, 1863 Federal forces from Van Cleve's Division of the 21st Army Corps of the Army of the Cumberland invaded Ringgold from the west. At the same time, Colonel John T. Wilder's Mounted Infantry Brigade invaded from the north. A few Confederate…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM7Y9_stone-church-and-catoosa-station_Tunnel-Hill-GA.html
Organized in 1837, the Chickamauga Presbyterian Church, commonly call "The Old Stone Church," was a landmark in the Ringgold area at the time of the war. The coming of the Western and Atlantic Railroad and the construction of an impressive stone depot in…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM7YA_crawfish-spring_Chickamauga-GA.html
Crawfish Spring was the first name given to the modern community Chickamauga, Georgia. Cherokees lived in this area before their forced removal in 1838, with their Chickamauga District courthouse located near the spring. In the 1840s an early white settler,…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM8JS_leets-spring-and-tanyard_Ringgold-GA.html
Arthur I. Leet was a Methodist clergyman who also had widespread commercial interests. He established a mill and large tanyard near the spring before the war. These facilities were widely used by local citizens, and the site became a landmark that was us…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM8KE_peavine-church_Ringgold-GA.html
The majority of the people who came into the area to establish Walker County were deeply religious. Soon after establishing their farms, the residents of most areas usually built a church that also served as a community and social center for the surrounding…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMQ9B_the-xzanders-g-mcfarland-house-and-mcfarland-gap_Rossville-GA.html
Mr. Xzanders Gordon McFarland of Walker County(Rossville Georgia) was a slave holder. So when the Civil War took his two oldest sons into the army, he gathered his slaves, his four teenage daughters and his stock and went to South Georgia for safety. His wi…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMQI8_running-water-creek-bridge_Whiteside-TN.html
The Nashville and Chattanooga Railroad Bridge over Running Water Creek was a vital link in the rail connection between Nashville and Chattanooga. The retreating Confederate Army destroyed it in the summer of 1863. The pursuing Federal Army expected to be…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMQJ0_fort-mccook_South-Pittsburg-TN.html
After the Shiloh Campaign in the spring of 1862, Confederate forces under General Braxton Bragg concentrated in the Chattanooga area. The Federal Army, under General Don Carlos Buell occupied north Alabama. Fearful of a Confederate attack, General Buell sen…
PAGE 1 OF 2