Historical Marker Series

New York: Historical Society of Rockland County

Showing results 1 to 10 of 44
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM4H2_washington-and-carleton-meeting_Tappan-NY.html
Commemoratingthe 200th anniversary of the meetingsbetweenGeneral George WashingtonandGeneral Sir Guy Carletonat Tappan and aboardH.M.S. Perseverance.Jointly bythe Historical Society of Rockland CountyandTappantown Historical Society. Dedicated May 15, 1983
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM4JA_reformed-dutch-church-of-tappan_Tappan-NY.html
Organized 1694Used as a military hospital and prison during the Revolution. The trials of Major John Andre as a spy, and of Joshua Heit Smith for treason, were held here in 1780.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM5DW_the-first-courthouse_Tappan-NY.html
A log structure, with whipping posts and stocks, was erected on this Tappan green C. 1691. Here justice was administered to all of Orange County, which then included present Rockland. A more permanent courthouse and "gaol," built in 1739, was destroyed by f…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM5FY_skunk-hollow_Alpine-NJ.html
Skunk Hollow or, "the mountain," was a free black community from 1806-1905. The first known deed dated 1806 belonged to Jack Earnest from Palisades. In 1841, William Thompson, an African Methodist Episcopal itinerant preacher bought Jack's house, built a…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM9YU_clarksville-inn_West-Nyack-NY.html
This historic inn built by Thomas Warner in 1840 was a stopping place for stage coaches and travelers to and from the Port of Nyack. It was a center of social life for more than a century and the scene of farewell balls for recruits during the Civil War. Kn…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM9YV_the-nyack-turnpike_West-Nyack-NY.html
Dutch farmers first settled here early in the 18th century on land purchased from Indians who had occupied this region for millennia. Under mounting pressure for a cross-county road between the port of Nyack and Ramapo a turnpike was built. The section thro…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMBZK_oak-hill-cemetery_Nyack-NY.html
This nonsectarian cemetery was dedicated on June 27, 1848 before a crowd of 3,000 people. The establishment of the cemetery reflected a transition from small family or religious cemeteries. Oak Hill Cemetery has been enlarged several times and occupies 65 a…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HME3M_mount-moor-cemetery_West-Nyack-NY.html
This "Burying ground for Colored people", was deeded on July 7, 1849 by James Benson and Jane Benson, his wife, to William H. Moore, Stephen Samuels and Isaac Williams, trustees. The cemetery has provided burial space for colored people, including veterans …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HME3P_clarksville_West-Nyack-NY.html
The Nyack Turnpike Toll Road c. 1825 crossed the Oblenis Farm here, creating a busy intersection knows as Oblenis Corners at Strawtown and Sickeltown roads. The first post office named Nyack Turnpike was established in the New Oblenis Store in 1834. In 1847…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMGKY_sufferns-tavern_Suffern-NY.html
Erected ? ? Oct. 4, 1924 Site ofSuffern'sTaverna noted hostelry ofthe Revolution Headquarters of · General · George Washington · July 15th to 20th, 1777 · Headquarters ofColonel Aaron Burrcommanding the troopsguarding t…
PAGE 1 OF 5