Historical Marker Series

Florida: St. Augustine Freedom Trail

Showing results 1 to 10 of 22
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM4OS_gault-street_St-Augustine-FL.html
Gault Street was one of the historically black residential streets in North City. Many residents worked at the Florida School for the Deaf and the Blind, the Fountain of Youth, laundries and ice plants that were once located in the area. Three Victorian …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM4PK_64-washington-street_St-Augustine-FL.html
64 Washington Street was the Florida State Headquarters of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC) during and after the civil rights demonstrations of 1964. SCLC was founded in 1957 by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. after the successful Montgomery …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM4PO_177-twine-street_St-Augustine-FL.html
The event that brought the civil rights movement in St. Augustine to international attention was the arrest of Mary Parkman Peabody (1891-1981), the 72-year old mother of the Governor of Massachusetts, for trying to be served in a racially integrated group …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM4Q4_156-m-l-king-avenue_St-Augustine-FL.html
The house at 156 Central Avenue was built in the 1950's for Mrs. Janie Price, a nurse at Flagler Hospital. She had taken her nurse's training at Grady Hospital in Atlanta in the 1940s and while there had attended dances with students from Morehouse College&…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM4Q5_8-dr-r-b-hayling-place_St-Augustine-FL.html
The house at 8 Scott Street was built in the 1950s as part of Rollins Subdivision, a new residential area where many prominent black St. Augustinians made their homes. In the early 1960s it was the residence of Dr. Robert B. Hayling and family. A dentist an…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM4QH_79-bridge-street_St-Augustine-FL.html
The Rudcarlie Building at 79 Bridge Street was built in the 1950's by Dr. Rudolph N. Gordon (1901-1959) and named for the members of his family. Rudolph, Carlotta, and Rosalie. It was the first medical/dental office constructed in St. Augustine without raci…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM4RZ_31-king-street_St-Augustine-FL.html
The Ponce de Leon Shopping Center opened in 1955 as the first downtown shopping center in St. Augustine. It was designated by Morris Lapidus (1902-2001), Florida's most famous mid-twentieth century architect, and is the only example of his work in the Ancie…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM4SX_97-m-l-king-avenue_St-Augustine-FL.html
97 Martin Luther King Avenue was built in the 1920s by Frederick E. Martin, a prominent Lincolnville businessman whose name is set in the tile inside the front door. It was a popular confectionery and sundries store under many owners, drawing some of its cu…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM4T2_57-chapin-street_St-Augustine-FL.html
57 Chapin Street was once the home of Willie Galimore (1935-1964), the most famous athlete to come from St. Augustine. A three-time Pittsburgh Courier All-American football player at Florida A & M University under the legendary coach Jake Gaither, Galimore …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM4UY_96-evergreen-avenue_St-Augustine-FL.html
Zion Baptist Church, with its distinctive double towers, was built in 1921 to house a congregation originally organized in 1886. It is the last house of worship passed by many funerals on their way to several nearby cemeteries, including the one from which …
PAGE 1 OF 3