The Washington-Rochambeau Route
Showing results 1 to 10 of 71
Formerly called "Lower Cross Roads." Council of Safety met here 5 April 1775. Considered as site for county seat 1781.
George Washington passed 6 May 1775 on way to be made Commander-in-Chief of Army.
Lafayette and his troops marched past 15 April 1…
The French Troops of Count de Rochambeau in five divisions camped here at the end of August 1782—the 22nd camp on the return march from the Yorktown victory to the north.
Old Post Road Established 1666. Count Rochambeau's troops camped here September 9, 1781 after having crossed the Susquehanna River on their way to the siege of Yorktown, Va.
Named for the French General whose troops passed through here in 1781 en route to Yorktown. Records of the French Army noted plans were underway for a town at this place when the troops returned from Yorktown in 1782.
Count de Rochambeau's heavy artillery and baggage train camped near this point September 10, 1781. After fording the Susquehanna River at Bald Friar they proceeded to Bush to join the main troops.
Lafayette embarked his troops March 8, 1781 to capture Benedict Arnold. Returned April 9, began overland march to Virginia April 12, 1781.Washington and Rochambeau with their combined forces stopped Sept. 6-7, 1781 on way to Yorktown.
Crossed the Susquehanna River in five divisions and made their 23rd camp here at the end of August 1782 on the return from Yorktown victory to the north.
Count de Rochambeau's heavy artillery and baggage train camped here September 9, 1781 before fording the Susquehanna at Bald Friar and proceeding to join the main army on the Philadelphia Road.
Near Pilot, two and one-half miles northwest of this point, lies the site of a Susquehanna fording used by Indians before the coming of the white man. By 1695, a barge provided ferry service to the colonists. The Conowingo Lake now covers the site.
Colchester, founded in 1753 at the location of a ferry crossing, was the second town established in Fairfax County. Located on the main post road from Boston to Charleston, and at the end of the Ox Road leading west to the Blue Ridge, the town prospered as …