Historical Marker Series

Orange and Alexandria Railroad

Showing results 1 to 10 of 13
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMCC_springfield-station_Springfield-VA.html
The first Springfield Station was located on the south side of the Orange and Alexandria Railroad near this location. Built after 1851, when the railroad was completed to Henry Daingerfield's "Springfield Farm," the station was the site of a Civil War skirm…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM16B_orange-and-alexandria-rr_West-Springfield-VA.html
The Lake Accotink access road here lies atop the original road bed of the Orange and Alexandria Railroad, chartered in 1849 to link the port city of Alexandria with Gordonsville in central Virginia. After the war began in 1861, railroads became strategicall…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1XW_the-orange-and-alexandria-railroad-trestle_West-Springfield-VA.html
The original bridge crossing Accotink Creek was built in 1851 as part of the Orange and Alexandria Railroad. During the Civil War the wooden trestle was an attractive target for Confederate soldiers. In his 28 Dec. 1862 raid on Burke's Station, Confederate …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM27T_silas-burke-house_Burke-VA.html
Here lived Lt. Col. Silas Burke (b.1796-d.1854) and his wife, Hannah Coffer. Burke, for whom Burke's Station on the Orange and Alexandria Railroad was named, served as a director of the railroad and the Fairfax Turnpike Company. An innkeeper and farmer, Bur…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM2KA_orange-train-station_Orange-VA.html
Beginning in 1749, Orange County's successive courthouses have been located just west of here. In 1854, the Orange & Alexandria Railroad, constructed to link Alexandria with central Virginia, reached Orange and a train station was built near here. The 1804 …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM5AM_john-s-barbours-birthplace_Culpeper-VA.html
Just to the south stood Catalpa, where John Strode Barbour was born on 29 Dec. 1820. In 1849, he was appointed the state's representative on the board of directors of the Orange and Alexandria Railroad. The board elected him president in 1851 and he continu…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM5AN_culpeper-court-house_Culpeper-VA.html
Following the Gettysburg Campaign, Federal officials sought to verify rumors that a substantial part of Gen. Robert E. Lee's Confederate army had been detached. On September 13, 1863, Federal cavalry moved down the tracks from your left, under orders to rec…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM5LM_fairfax-station_Fairfax-Station-VA.html
The first Fairfax Station depot, built by Irish immigrants in 1852, was a stop on the Orangeand Alexandria Railroad from Alexandria to Gordonsville. Early in 1862, after Confederate forces withdrew, the railroad carried military suppliesand letters and pack…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMP34_orange-and-alexandria-railroad_Springfield-VA.html
Accotink Park Road lies on the right-of-way of the Orange and Alexandria Railroad, which linked markets in northern and central Virginia. Construction began in March 1850, and the line was extended to Manassas in 1851 and to Gordonsville in March 1853. The …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1DFL_wilkes-street-tunnel_Alexandria-VA.html
The Wilkes Street Tunnel was part of the Orange & Alexandria Railroad, founded in 1848 to promote trade with western Virginia. The Orange and Alexandria inaugurated its track in Alexandria on May 7, 1851 with a run to the north end of Union Street to the Wi…
PAGE 1 OF 2