Historical Marker Series

Virginia: Historic Occoquan

Showing results 1 to 10 of 14
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMW6_1804-occoquan-town-plat_Occoquan-VA.html
In 1804, after Virginia's General Assembly granted a charter, Occoquan was platted on 31 acres of founder Nathaniel Ellicott's and others' land. The Plat laid off streets and lots. Structures shown included the public wharf, Ellicott's Mill and Bridge, and …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMW8_occoquan-wharves_Occoquan-VA.html
Occoquan's Public Wharf was here. This wharf and others at the Occoquan River's highest navigable point were key to the 19th- and early 20th-century town's porsperity. Ships were built, barges carried grain to Ellicott's Mill, and flour, logs, fish and ice …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMWM_mill-street_Occoquan-VA.html
Mill Street has been Occoquan's commercial center since the early 1800s. The Alton Hotel, Taverns, a bank, a pharmacy, grocery and hardware stores, and other businesses served local residents and travelers on the main east coast north south highway. A 1916 …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMWN_methodist-church_Occoquan-VA.html
This brick, lancet-windowed church, built ca. 1925 is Occoquan's second Methodist church. The first wood-frame church, located on Commerce St. behind the present structure, burned in the 1916 town fire. Besides its original tenants, other church congregatio…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMWO_rockledge_Occoquan-VA.html
John Ballendine built this finely proportioned Georgian House, "Rockledge," in c. 1760. William Buckland, a premier colonial Chesapeake architect, reportedly designed it. "Rockledge" is a rare example of a Tidewater Virginia stone dwelling. Several entrepre…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMWP_ellicotts-mill_Occoquan-VA.html
John Ballendine established this gristmill at the Occoquan Falls ca. 1755. By 1800 it was owned by Nathaniel Ellicott and housed machinery to unload grain from wagons or barges, grind it, and return it to its carrier. The building, the region's first automa…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMWT_the-dogue-indians_Occoquan-VA.html
The Dogues, an Algonquian tribe, occupied the Occoquan River Watershed in the early 1600s. In their dialect, Occoquan means "at the end of the water." They lived in villages, hunted and fished, and raised corn, beans, squash, and tobacco. They departed as t…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMWV_occoquan-river-bridges_Occoquan-VA.html
Occoquan founder Nathaniel Ellicott built the first bridge here c. 1800. The "Great Mail Route" from Washington to the south crossed here. In 1878 an iron Pratt Truss Bridge was erected. This bridge was on the main east coast north-south highway until 1928.…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMXD_commerce-street_Occoquan-VA.html
Commerce Street was a residential and commercial area from the early 19th through mid-20th centuries. Houses, many of which survive, faced the street on lots surveyed on the 1804 town plat. Businesses included the Hammill Hotel and a General Store. Public b…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMXF_odd-fellows-hall_Occoquan-VA.html
Odd Fellows Crescent Lodge No. 3 erected this frame meeting hall in 1889. Volunteer Lodge members and a paid carpenter built it. The first floor was a public meeting room and theater. The Masons, American Legion, church congregations and other groups met th…
PAGE 1 OF 2