Historical Marker Series

Virginia: Prince William County Historical Commission

Showing results 1 to 10 of 44
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM14_the-carolina-road_Haymarket-VA.html
The Carolina Road, earlier an Indian hunting path, roughly approximating Route 15 at this point, derived its name from trade between Frederick, Maryland, and Georgia. Later the road was used by settlers emigrating to western lands. Because of notorious gang…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1P_buckland_Gainesville-VA.html
The town of Buckland, named for William Buckland, Architect, was chartered in 1798 with streets and lots on both sides of Broad Run near the mill of John Love. Tranquility, future site of Buckland Hall nearby, was John Love's seat. This property was transfe…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM2K_town-of-occoquan_Occoquan-VA.html
Nathaniel Ellicott formally established the town in 1804, bringing to fruition industrial and commercial developments begun 'at or near the Falls of Occoquan' by John Ballendine c. 1750. The estuary of The Occoquan has attracted the attention of travelers s…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM2T_town-of-occoquan_Occoquan-VA.html
In 1758 when John Ballendine built his dwelling, "Rockledge," at Occoquan, the town began to prosper. By 1765 it was a flourishing industrial settlement with grist mills, foundry, and tobacco warehouses. "Rockledge" and a portion of Merchants (Grist) Mill s…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMRH_potomac-path_Woodbridge-VA.html
To the east is the only preserved segment of the Potomac Path, the earliest north-south route in northern Virginia. Following an ancient Indian trail, the road, later known as the King's Highway, assumed great importance for overland travel between the colo…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMRJ_troop-movements-and-camp_Montclair-VA.html
Prince William militia opened a road nearby in preparation for the Yorktown Campaign of 1781. French and American cavalry, wagon trains, and cattle unable to use the ferry at Woodbridge, traveled this road, fording the river at Wolf Run Shoals on the way to…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMSN_asbury-church_Nokesville-VA.html
Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church, South was built 1893-1894 on land donated by Newton and Annie Allen Sayers of Massadale Farm. Methodist circuit riders stopped regularly at this farm to administer tothe spiritual needs of their followers in the neighborho…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMTC_old-telegraph-road_Woodbridge-VA.html
Just to the east is the original route of an ancient trail used to lay the first telegraph wire from Washington to New Orleans in 1847. During the Civil War it became a strategic military objective. It was first used by Confederate forces supporting their b…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMTS_colonial-road_Nokesville-VA.html
The road bed here follows the south branch of the Dumfries Road, in use before 1740, which crossed Cedar Run at Tacquet's Ford. This route connected the Port of Dumfries with Red Store, now known as Warrenton, and interior settlements beyond. Dower House wa…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMVE_washingtons-first-journey-to-the-frontier_Woodbridge-VA.html
On March 11, 1748, George Washington and George William Fairfax crossed the Occoquan above the falls near here - Washington to enter the service of Lord Fairfax, and Lord Fairfax to meet his constituents in Frederick County. They traveled by horseback on an…
PAGE 1 OF 5