Historical Marker Series

Showing results 1 to 10 of 39
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1YKH_voss-family-and-a-b-motor-company_Natchez-MS.html
Axel Voss spoke little english when he emigrated in 12925 from Copenhagen, Denmark. He worked as a mechanic for Chris Anderson and John T. Belt, who founded A-B Motor Company in a backyard garage at 114 St. Catherine.The first Voss business venture was a wr…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1YZX_intersection-of-high-and-north-wall-streets_Natchez-MS.html
Joseph Neibert built Choctaw in 1836 as his mansion townhouse. Neibert was a cotton planter. In the 1830s he and his partner Peter Gemmel, operated the city's most successful building firm, which employed both white and enslaved craftsmen. In 1844, the hous…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1Z0S_intersection-of-main-and-south-union-streets_Natchez-MS.html
An 1890 view of Memorial Park shows the Confederate soldier monument draped for unveiling. Like many others across the south, it faces north towards the opposing army.The park's creation was part of the Lost Cause Movement that expressed the desire of white…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1Z5K_natchez-bluffs-and-river-views_Natchez-MS.html
The Harper family mansion had a spectacular view of the river from the bluff. The construction of the railroad and related development made its land valuable for commerce, and the house and its garden were destroyed to build a large warehouse (no longer sta…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1ZIS_holy-family-church-and-school_Natchez-MS.html
In 1889 Bishop Thomas Heslin started the first parish for Roman Catholic African Americans in Mississippi. He first oversaw construction of a small frame church (above left) on Beaumont Street and brought Father A.N.J. Peters to Natchez to become the foundi…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM208E_dr-john-banks-house-9-st-catherine-street_Natchez-MS.html
The Dr. John Banks House was built in the Queen Anne style about 1890 and was slightly remodeled in the Colonial Style after about 1905. Frank Robinson, grandson of Dr. John Banks, retired part time to Natchez and restored the house in the mid-1990's.Dr. Jo…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM20OQ_history-of-st-catherine-street_Natchez-MS.html
Pre-Civil War St. Catherine StreetThe road, for the first mile, after leaving town, passed through a charming country, seen at intervals, and between long lines of unpainted, wretched looking dwellings, occupied as 'groggeries' by free negroes, or poor emig…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM21LV_music-on-st-catherine-street_Natchez-MS.html
Alexander Lightfoot"Papa George"Papa George Lightfoot [1924-1971], he lived down the street from the alley I came up in, down on St. Catherine Street....He was a hustler, he had a snowball wagon, he sold peanuts. He would blow his harp while selling, and he…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM21Q9_20-30-st-catherine-street-and-eduation_Natchez-MS.html
.Eliza Smith, an antebellum "free woman of color," purchased property on St. Catherine Street in the 1850s. Her daughters and their families built new houses on the property in the 1880s.28 St. Catherine Street (above) was the ca. 1885 home of Sarah Smith R…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM21TW_hospital-hill-neighborhood_Natchez-MS.html
The portion of St. Catherine Street that extends from the site of the Rhythm Night Club to D'Evereux Street was originally part of the property of the city's first public hospital (above).The hospital fronted St. Catherine and stood on a hill on the north s…
PAGE 1 OF 4