Historical Marker Series

Showing results 1 to 10 of 172
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1XFA_dr-felix-henry-dunn-historical_Gulfport-MS.html
An African American physician, lived and practiced medicine here fron 1953 until 2002. His work to register African American voters provoked repeated death threats and fire bombing of his clinic. He was president of the Gulfport Branch NAACP and marched wit…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1XFB_old-gulfport-high-school-historical_Gulfport-MS.html
The Gulfport High School, built in 1923 by architect N. W. Overstreet, replaced two earlier schools built in 1899 and 1905, both of which burned. Opened in 1924 at a new location on 15th Street, the school was converted to a junior high in 1977 due to conso…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1XFC_1863-east-pascagoula-raid-historical_Gulfport-MS.html
The Louisiana Native Guards, composed largely of former slaves and free men of color from Louisiana, were organized by Union Maj. Gen. Benjamin Butler in 1862. On April 9, 1863, 180 men from companies B and G of the 2nd Regiment, landed at Pascagoula and he…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1XFL_white-house-hotel-historical_Biloxi-MS.html
Established as the White House Inn in 1895, this hotel was first operated as a boarding house by Cora White. By 1910 the White House had grown in popularity and become a tourist destination. The campus encompassed seven residential buildings connected…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1XFP_coast-guard-station-barracks-historical_Biloxi-MS.html
Built here in 1934 as part of a U.S. Coast Guard base, the barracks was an E-shaped, Spanish Colonial Revival style building made of reinforced concrete. Arcaded porches lined the building's wings and central pavilion, which had an octagonal cupola. The fi…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1XFR_vance-gillis-house-historical_Biloxi-MS.html
Built in the 1830s, the French Creole house once located here incorporated Federal and Greek Revival decorative influences tn its design. The gallery completely encircled the house, and its slender, colonnettes supported a broad hipped roof with flared eav…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1XFS_tullis-toledano-house-historical_Biloxi-MS.html
One of the most substantial of the vacation houses on the Gulf Coast, the Tullis Toledano House was built in 1856 for New Orleans native Christoval Sebastian Toledano (1789-1869) and his wife, Matilda Pradat Toledano. The estate, composed of a Creole-influe…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1XFW_pascagoula-street-railroad-and-power-company-historical_Pascagoula-MS.html
The Pascagoula Ice and Freezer Company was established in the late 1880s. Its name changed in 1903 when the one-story brick building just north of this site was built. It is the only example of Mission Revival Style architecture in Pascagoula and one …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1XFY_church-of-the-redeemer-historical_Biloxi-MS.html
The Carpenter Gothic style Episcopal Church of the Redeemer, built 1873-74 was located here. Among the church's parishioners was former Confederate President Jefferson Davis. In 1892, a new church, designed by architect Thomas Sully, was constructed south o…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1XG9_capt-john-grant-historical_Pascagoula-MS.html
Tomb ½ block W. Built first RR in old S. W., 1831. Invented passing track & raised platform. Dredged "Grant's Pass" & E. branch Pascagoula R. Legislator in Miss., Ala., & La., voting for Ala. charter to N.O. & M. (L & N), 1866.
PAGE 1 OF 18