Historical Marker Series

Showing results 1 to 10 of 60
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1TP1_westward-welcome-historical_Dearborn-MI.html
The Chicago Road was the way to go west from Detroit. After the Erie Canal in New York state opened in 1825, great numbers of Americans searched for their future to the west across the Great Lakes. Many of them traveled on the Chicago Road, or Michigan Ave…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1TQP_making-moves-historical_Dearborn-MI.html
Dearborn has long been a transportation hub, first by water and land, later by rail, air and automobile. The Rouge and Detroit rivers provided water transport to the Great Lakes. Major overland routes included the Sauk Trail (later the Chicago Road and now…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1TSR_the-path-of-the-setting-sun-historical_Dearborn-MI.html
Guests of the Fords came from all walks of life, and the Great Meadow that greeted them remains. Its designer, Jens Jensen, used thousands of native plantings to create this vista he labeled, "The Path of the Setting Sun-Summer." Every summer solstice (the …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1TTY_nankin-millers-house-historical_Westland-MI.html
It was a short walk to work. This was home to milling families who owned and operated Nankin Mills during its gristmill heyday, from 1842 to 1918. Its Greek Revival style was popular when it was built in 1834. The last farmer living here was George Barnes,…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1TU0_learning-by-doing-historical_Westland-MI.html
Henry Ford established this one-room schoolhouse for children of workers at his nearby Nankin Mill village industry plant producing automotive parts. The rural school operated from 1937 to 1946 as part of Ford's Edison Institute School System, encouraging …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1TU1_ford-and-dearborn-historical_Dearborn-MI.html
Henry Ford built the City of Dearborn His business interests drove the consolidation of the City of Fordson and the City of Dearborn in 1929. To the east were the Ford Rouge Plant and the Ford Administration Building. To the west were Ford's airport, Ford …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1TU8_220-n-huron-historical_Ypsilanti-MI.html
This lovely building has been many homes. It was built in the Italianate style in 1860, as our nation's Civil War approached, for the family of bank president Asa Dow. It continued as a home for families until 1922. As apartments, it provided vital housing…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1TUD_dearborn-city-hall-historical_Dearborn-MI.html
East Downtown Dearborn is "the neighborhood the Rouge Plant built," and its fortunes have been tied to Ford Motor Company. Ford taxes generated much of the income used to build the impressive Georgian Revival-style building, which opened on June 26, 1922, …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1ULF_fords-fairways-historical_Dearborn-MI.html
It was a gift for his hometown. Henry Ford developed an 18-hole golf course at Outer Drive and Military Street that opened in 1925. With the course designed by Donald Ross and the clubhouse designed by architect Albert Kahn, Ford wanted to put Dearborn on …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1UNI_a-military-reserve-historical_Dearborn-MI.html
Dearborn was an outpost on the western frontier Because of expansion from Detroit and Indian disturbances to the west, in 1833 the federal government began construction of an arsenal on its military reserve land near where the Sauk Trail crossed the Rouge …
PAGE 1 OF 6