Historical Marker Series

Showing results 1 to 10 of 56
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1MEV_hanging-bog_Caneadea-NY.html
Hanging Bog is a man-made pond built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930's on then federally owned land. In 1962 Hanging Bog was transferred to New York State. The pond is referred to as Hanging Bog because of its unique mat of floating vegetatio…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1NHH_camp-tulelake_Tulelake-CA.html
1935-1942 Civilian Conservation Corps This camp was built and staffed by the CCC, an organization that was established during the Great Depression by President Franklin Roosevelt to reduce unemployment and to preserve the nation's natural resources.…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1OYA_united-states-civilian-conservation-corps_Wellsboro-PA.html
Born at our nation's lowest point, the CCC rebuilt a land and its people. We all owe thanks to the thousands of men who helped build Pennsylvania's parks and reforest its hills. Beginning late in 1929, the Great Depression was a desperate time for the econ…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1P9V_the-astorians_Alpine-WY.html
Here in Sept. 1812, the returning Astorians led by Robert Stuart were attacked by the Indians and their horses stolen. Dedicated July 4, 1939, to commemorate the opening of the Snake River Canyon Road. Built by Civilian Conservation Corps. Reconstruc…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1PUP_dayton-community-hall_Ranchester-WY.html
410 Bridge Street Dayton, Wyoming 82836 "Built in 1935-35 for the Town of Dayton by the WPA & the CCC" National Register of Historic Places Wyoming Place No. 1338
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1Q9C_civilian-conservation-corps_Casper-WY.html
The Casper division of the Civilian Conservation Corps was arranged by the efforts of the Casper Chamber of Commerce in 1937. Work done by the C.C.C, on Casper Mountain and at Alcova consisted of building bridges, improving roads, and reducing fire hazards.…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1RHI_mount-diablo-beacon_Walnut-Creek-CA.html
A large flashing light atop this rotunda once guided airplanes flying through the night skies of the Bay Area. Originally held aloft on a 75-foot tower erected by Standard Oil in 1928, it served as a crucial route-finding aid in the days before electronic n…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1RHL_mt-diablo-state-park_Walnut-Creek-CA.html
Like many other isolated peaks, Mt. Diablo is steeped in lore - much of it involving the mountain's name. On a 1824 map, "M. del Diablo" signifies a Christian Indian village, not a peak. The reference to "diablo" or devil can be traced back to 1804 or 180…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1UFZ_company-841-historical_Ten-Sleep-WY.html
Below you are the waters of Meadowlark Lake, a popular recreation area on (sic) the Bighorn National Forest Meadowlark Lake was created by the construction of a dam by Company 841 of the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1936. From April 1934, when the CCC w…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1UU8_civilian-conservation-corps-historical_Hartville-WY.html
During the Depression years, under the New Deal program, President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the Emergency Conservation Work program (later known as the Civilian Conservation Corps or CCC) to employ people in large public works projects. In 1934 two…
PAGE 1 OF 6