Historical Marker Series

Pony Express National Historic Trail

Page 2 of 15 — Showing results 11 to 20 of 150
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM2BE_yanks-added-station_South-Lake-Tahoe-CA.html
(back) The Hawley Grade from April 3, 1860 to November 17, 1860 was used by the Pony Express. On November 18, 1860 the new toll road down Johnson Pass (Echo Summit), today's Old Meyers Grade, was opened to horse traffic and was now used by the Pony Express.…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM2BI_strawberry-valley-house_Twin-Bridges-CA.html
This popular resort and stopping place for stages and teams of the Comstock, established by Swift and Watson in 1856, became a remount station of the Central Overland Pony Express on April 4, 1860. Here on that date division superintendent Bolivar Roberts w…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM2RE_saint-joseph_St-Joseph-MO.html
(Front): Renowned city of the Pony Express, St. Joseph was first settled as a trading post for the American Fur Company by Joseph Robidoux, 1826. Later he acquired the site and laid out a town in 1843. St. Joseph became an outfitting point for settlers in n…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM2U2_folsom-pony-express-terminus_Folsom-CA.html
Gold Rush and Railroad town Folsom became the Western Terminus of the Central Overland Pony Express on July 1, 1860. The express mail had been run by pony to and from Sacramento. Beginning on July 1, 1860, the Sacramento Valley Railroad carried it between S…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM3KG_sportsmans-hall_Camino-CA.html
This was the site of Sportsman's Hall, also known as Twelve-Mile House. The hotel operated in the late 1850's and 1860's by John and James Blair, a stopping place for stages and teams of the comstock. It became a relay station of the Central Overland Pony E…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM3L2_woodfords-station_Markleeville-CA.html
Historic Woodfords Station, the Eastern Sierra gateway to the goldfields of California, way station of the famed Pony Express, and entrance to Carson Pass on the Emigrant Trail to the Sacramento Valley. Beginning in 1849 with the building of the "Sign of th…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM3L9_the-pony-express-woodfords_Markleeville-CA.html
During the initial five weeks of its operation in 1860, an important remount station of the famous Pony Express was located a few feet from here at Cary's Barn. This monument erected by the Historical Society of Alpine County. National Pony Express Ce…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM3LJ_the-pony-express-sportsmans-hall_Camino-CA.html
California's only Home Station where riders changed on the Pony Express trail. Here, at 8:01 A.M. on April 4, 1860, Sam Hamilton, first eastbound rider, was relieved by Warren Upson who carried the initial mail over the then storm swept Sierras. Sacramen…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM6Q2_pleasant-grove-house_Rescue-CA.html
This was the site of a popular roadhouse, where the ponies of the Central Overland Pony Express were changed during July 1, 1860 to June 30, 1861. From here the route of the pony riders continued westward to Folsom and eastward through Rescue, Dry Creek Cro…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM71B_diamond-springs_Diamond-Springs-CA.html
This town, settled in 1848, derived its name from its crystal clear springs. Among the richest in this vicinity its diggings produced a 25 pound nugget, one of the largest in El Dorado County. Its most thriving period was in 1851. Later it became a contende…
PAGE 2 OF 15