Historical Marker Series

Minnesota Historical Society

Showing results 1 to 10 of 63
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMD0Z_pond-mission_Shakopee-MN.html
These foundations mark the site of a two-story frame building erected by the Reverend Samuel W. Pond in 1847. It served as a Presbyterian mission to the Shakopee Sioux, and as Pond's home until his death in 1891. An eight-foot stockade enclosed the house…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMRHW_little-rapids-fur-post_Chaska-MN.html
By 1804 Jean B. Faribault was trading in furs for the Northwest Company near the "Little Rapids" of the Minnesota River, 5 miles south of this point, and in this vicinity. His fur post of 1824 on the site of Chaska became the nucleus for the first Catholic …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMTEU_buchanan_Duluth-MN.html
This town site, named after President Buchanan, was laid out in October 1856. From September 1857 until May 1859 the place though little less than wilderness, was the seat of the U.S. Land Office for the Northeastern District of Minnesota. After the removal…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMUFE_fort-beauharnois_Frontenac-MN.html
On the shore of Lake Pepin just north of here a French expedition commanded by LaPerriere and accompanied by two Jesuits in September 1727 built a substantial log fort and the mission of St. Michael the Archangel. The post was occupied periodically until ab…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM191U_harkin-store_New-Ulm-MN.html
HARKIN STORE West Newton in 1870 was a thriving town, serving riverboat travel on the Minnesota River. It consisted of a hotel, a livery stable, a brewery, a sawmill, a wagon works, two blacksmith shops, three saloons, and many dwellings that made the town…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM19XH_battle-of-birch-coulee_Morton-MN.html
On the prairie half a mile east of this point, a party of about 160 troops was attacked by Sioux at dawn, Sept. 2, 1862. During the battle, the force was surrounded for thirty hours, losing over a third of its number in killed and wounded. seal of St…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1A2Y_chief-sleepy-eyes_Sleepy-Eye-MN.html
[seal of the Minnesota Historical Society] CHIEF SLEEPY EYES (Ish-tak-ha-ba) Sleepy Eyes, or Drooping Eyelids, was born about 1780 in a Sisseton Sioux Indian village at Swan Lake in Nicollet County. The Bureau of Indian Affairs commissioned him a chief i…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1B4K_the-wood-lake-battle_Echo-MN.html
THE WOOD LAKE BATTLE In mid-September, 1862, more than 1,600 soldiers commanded by Colonel Henry Sibley marched northwest from Fort Ridgely into the Minnesota River Valley with an aim to end the U.S.-Dakota War. Word of that movement reached the Dakota sol…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1BUP_fort-ridgely_Fairfax-MN.html
FORT RIDGELY Fort Ridgely both contradicts and fits the popular culture stereotype of a frontier fort. Following its 1855 completion, the Fort's primary role was to assist the federal government with an orderly transition of land ownership from American In…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1CKB_a-minority-in-their-homeland-u-s-dakota-conflict_Fairfax-MN.html
A Minority in Their Homeland For generations, the land stretching out around you was the homeland of the Dakota Indians. Through treaties in 1851, the Dakota sold all of their land in southern Minnesota. The treaties disregarded Dakota people's traditional …
PAGE 1 OF 7