Historical Marker Series

Missouri: State Historical Society of Missouri

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1P71_fort-osage_Buckner-MO.html
Side 1Four miles north are restored buildings of Fort Osage, westernmost frontier outpost of the U.S. government until 1819. One of 28 fortified Indian trading posts or "factories" operation on our Indian frontiers, 1795-1822, to promote and protect nationa…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1VGS_wright-county-historical_Hartville-MO.html
Wright County, in the Ozark Highland of Missouri, lies in a region ceded the U.S. by the Osage Indians in 1808. The first white settlers, mainly from Tennessee, came in the 1830's. The county, named for Senator Silas Wright of N.Y., was organized in 1841. H…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1VO5_webster-county-historical_Marshfield-MO.html
Webster County, organized March 3, 1855, encompasses 590 sq. miles of the highest extensive upland area of Missouri's Ozarks. The judicial seat, Marshfield, lies 1490 feet above sea level, highest county seat in Mo. Pioneer legislator John F. McMahan named …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1VP3_salem-historical_Salem-MO.html
Salem, an Ozark plateau town, 1,180 feet above sea level, was laid out, 1851, as the seat of newly organized Dent County. The town was named by early settler David R. Henderson for Salem, North Carolina, and the county name honors local pioneer and Missouri…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1VQG_butterfield-overland-mail-in-missouri-1858-1861-historical_Aurora-MO.html
The John I. Smith Relay Station was 172 ½ miles from the Tipton Terminus and stood in northeast Barry County, about 7 miles west of Crane.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1VQH_butterfield-overland-mail-in-missouri-1858-1861-historical_Billings-MO.html
The John C. Ashmore Relay Station in northwest Christian County stood in Polk Township, 152 ½ miles from the Tipton Terminus. It was the only station in the county.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1VQX_christian-county-historical_Ozark-MO.html
Deep in the Missouri Ozarks, Christian County, organized 1859, was one of last 3 of the State's 114 counties to be formed. At the request of pioneer "Mrs. Thomas Neaves" it was named for her native Ky. county honoring Rev. War Col. William Christi…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1VQY_mcdonald-county-historical_Noel-MO.html
McDonald County, 540 sq. miles of Ozark grandeur in Missouri's extreme southwest, was called Seneca when it was formed in 1847. Fully organized in 1849, it was named for Rev. War soldier Alexander McDonald.      Pineville, the county seat, was laid …
PAGE 1 OF 1