Historical Marker Series

The Comanche Trail into Mexico

Showing results 1 to 10 of 14
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMHJX_marathon_Marathon-TX.html
Fort Pena Colorada, the last active fort in this area, on the old Comanche Trail, about 4 miles to the southwest was established in 1879. Marathon was founded in 1881. Named by an old sea captain, A.E. Shepard, for the Plain of Marathon, in Greece, of which…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMZZ0_horse-head-crossing-on-the-pecos-river_Imperial-TX.html
Here crossed the undated Comanche Trail from Llano Estacado to Mexico. In 1850 John R. Bartlett while surveying the Mexican boundary found the crossing marked by skulls of horses; hence the name "Horse Head". The Southern Overland Mail (Butterfield) route, …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM10H5_comanche-trail_Alpine-TX.html
You are now traveling the Comanche Trail blazed by Comanche Indians, en route from the western plains to Mexico, and traveled later by emigrants and soldiers. It extended south from the Horse Head Crossing of the Pecos by Comanche Springs (Fort Stockton) to…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM10H7_double-mills_Alpine-TX.html
A natural watering place in prehistoric time, as evidenced by artifacts found here. Used later by Indians and Spaniards on roads from northern Mexico. As Maravillas Creek developed from a draw into water channel, old water hole vanished. About 1900 a ra…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM10H9_lunas-jacal_Big-Bend-National-Park-TX.html
Here at the edge of Alamo Creek, Gilberto Luna raised a large family in this small house called a jacal (hah-KAHL). Built from rock, earth, and plant fiber, the dwelling was well adapted to desert conditions: notice a dramatic temperature difference as you …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM16ZY_military-roads-in-texas_Brackettville-TX.html
The routes that moved troops in early Texas often followed old Indian trails, usually were little more than deep wagon ruts. This one, the Chihuahua Road—joining Ft. Clark with other southwest posts—was widely used, 1850-1880. The Comanche War T…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1E35_site-of-comanche-springs_Fort-Stockton-TX.html
Used as a watering place and camping ground by Indians since Pre-Columbian times, the Springs were possibly visited about 1536 by Spaniard Cabeza de Vaca on his wanderings through Texas. The expedition of Juan de Mendoza, with his party of Spaniards and Jum…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1E3Q_monahans-sandhills-state-park-and-museum_Monahans-TX.html
In these shifting seas of sand, rich in stone evidences of primitive men, today's visitors find flint points, sandstone metates and manos of peoples who were here as early as 10,000 years ago and late as the 1870s. Bones of great mammoths and gigantic bison…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1E3R_tunis-creek-stage-coach-stop_Fort-Stockton-TX.html
Replica of San Antonio and San Diego overland stage coach stop. This building was constructed of the stone from the original site which is ½ mile south-east of this location near Tunis Springs. The remains of a large Comanche Indian camp still exist at…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1E3V_willow-springs_Bethesda-TX.html
Located 6.6 miles east of this site in the Sand Hills, Willow Springs was known to Comanche Indians and to West Texas pioneers as an important source of water. It was frequently used by gold seekers on their way to California after the 1849 gold discovery t…
PAGE 1 OF 2