Historical Marker Series

Illinois: Illinois State Historical Society

Showing results 1 to 10 of 118
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM112_vincennes-in-the-american-revolution_Vincennes-IN.html
After taking Kaskaskia on July 5, 1778, George Roges Clark, Acting under Virginia authority, sent Father Pierre Gibault, as his envoy, to Vincennes. Gibault convinced the villagers there to take an oath of loyalty to the Americans. In early August, Captain …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM2J1_lincoln-herndon-law-offices_Springfield-IL.html
This portion of the Tinsley Building, a merchant block constructed in 1840-1841, is the only surviving structure in which Abraham Lincoln maintained a law office. Intended originally for commercial use, much of the building was rented for other purposes. A …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM2NB_old-state-capitol_Springfield-IL.html
The Old State Capitol was the fifth Statehouse in Illinois history. The building served as Capitol from 1839 to 1876. Its cornerstone was laid during ceremonies held July 4, 1837. During the 1840s and 1850s the building dominated Springfield's square and…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM45Z_the-diamond-mine-disaster_Diamond-IL.html
The Diamond Mine of the Wilmington Coal Mining and Manufacturing Company, located near Braidwood on the Grundy-Will County line, was the site of a major mine disaster in Illinois. The mine was on a marshy tract of land that had no natural drainage. At m…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM72R_pontiac-peace-treaty_Chrisman-IL.html
A few miles west of here on July 18, 1765, Pontiac, an Ottawa Chief, and George Croghan, British Representative, met in a formal peace council which ended the most threatening Indian uprising against the British in North America. Following the French and In…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM7VD_tremont-courthouse_Tremont-IL.html
Abraham Lincoln attended court in the fine two story rectangular brick courthouse with four Grecian columns and copper dome on this site. Here in 1842 he was challenged to a duel by James Shields. Lincoln last spoke here August 30, 1858.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM7WT_david-davis-mansion_Bloomington-IL.html
This Victorian Mansion was the home of Judge David Davis, an associate of Abraham Lincoln's. Construction began in 1870 and was completed in 1872. The house is built of yellow hard-burned face brick with stone quoins in the corners. It is 64 feet wide, exte…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM7YB_dr-benjamin-franklin-stephenson_Petersburg-IL.html
Founder of the Grand Army of the Republic, Menard County resident, Rush Medical College graduate 1850, Surgeon 14th Illinois Volunteers 1861-1864. He originated the G.A.R. name, ritual and constitution of Post No. 1, Decatur April 6, 1866, called First N…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM7YH_bi-plane-train-race-1910_Mt-Pulaski-IL.html
The historic race between a Wright Brothers bi-plane (2 wings) and an Illinois Central Steam train took place September 29, 1910 from Washington Park in Chicago to the State Fairgrounds in Springfield.Wilbur Wright was a passenger on the train. Walter R. Br…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM7YL_mt-pulaski-court-house_Mt-Pulaski-IL.html
Mt. Pulaski served as the seat of Logan County from 1848 to 1853. The First County Court was at Postville, now part of Lincoln, Illinois.In 1848 Logan County voters approved the removal of the Court from Postville to Mt. Pulaski. Local citizens raised $2,70…
PAGE 1 OF 12