Historical Marker Series

Michigan: Michigan Historical Commission

Showing results 1 to 10 of 674
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM45_manistee-fire-hall_Manistee-MI.html
In early October 1888, the Manistee City Council hired Frederick Hollister of Saginaw, the architect of Manistee's principal school, to design a fire hall to replace the original station, which was constructed in 1872-1873 on Filer Street. Later that month …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM46_ramsdell-theatre_Manistee-MI.html
Thomas Jefferson Ramsdell—pioneer lawyer, state legislator and civic leader—built this theatre between 1902 and 1903. Many traveling companies played here and praised the features that made it unique among the playhouses of the era. Theatrical a…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMD5_new-buffalo-welcome-center_New-Buffalo-MI.html
The nation's first Highway Travel Information center opened on May 4, 1935, on US-12 at New Buffalo, not far from here. Other states followed Michigan's lead, and by 1985 there were 251 travel information centers across the nation. The New Buffalo center wa…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMDE_the-dewey-cannon_Three-Oaks-MI.html
This cannon, captured in the Spanish-American War by Admiral Dewey, was presented to Three Oaks when its citizens raised $1,400 for a memorial to the men of the battleship Maine. This was the largest contribution, per capita, of any community in the nation.…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMDF_bertrand_Niles-MI.html
Nearby French and English trading posts were known as parc aux vaches or "cowpens" for the wild buffalo once found here. Joseph Bertrand, an early trader, married the daughter of a Potawatomi chief and through her acquired land in various Indian treaties. I…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMDG_wesley-united-methodist-church_Niles-MI.html
In 1839 circuit riders from Ohio began preaching in Niles, using the barroom of a local hotel. In 1832 nine worshipers formed the Methodist class that grew to be the Wesley United Methodist Church. They dedicated their first house of worship in 1839, and by…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMDH_saint-marys_Niles-MI.html
The Roman Catholic Church in Niles traces its origin to the Indian Mission established at nearby Fort St. Joseph in the late 1600's. Reestablished at Bertrand, three miles south of Niles, in the 1830s, the mission moved into town in 1849 and was renamed St.…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMDI_second-baptist-church_Niles-MI.html
In 1851 the Reverends J.W. Hackley and D.G. Lett organized the Second Baptist Church under the Anti-Slavery Baptist Association. The first of four churches—a log building—was erected on the southeast corner of Sixth and Ferry streets. In 1872 th…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HME3_fort-st-joseph_Niles-MI.html
The French fort built here in 1691 controlled southern Michigan's principal Indian trade routes. Missionaries and fur traders were here already. The fort became a British outpost in 1761. Two years later it was one of the forts seized by Indians during the …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HME4_four-flags-hotel_Niles-MI.html
The Four Flags Hotel opened with much fanfare on July 6, 1926. The newly formed Niles Hotel Corporation had raised $350,000 to build a hotel on the site of the Pike House hostelry. Chicago architect Charles W. Nicol designed the hotel, which was touted as f…
PAGE 1 OF 68