Historical Marker Series

Natchez Trace

Showing results 1 to 10 of 85
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM2GF_the-natchez-trace_Natchez-MS.html
Marked by the Daughters of the American Revolution in Mississippi 1909.This historic thoroughfare from Natchez to Nashville, Tenn. was used as a mail route in 1796.Although it was a well known Indian trail in far earlier days.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM88K_cockrill-spring_Nashville-TN.html
The house of John Cockrill, an early settler, stood about 60 yards north, near a large spring, whose waters ran northeast into Lick Branch, which emptied Great Salt Lick, around which Nashville was founded. A blacksmith shop stood under the great oak tree n…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMIQH_mcglamery-stand_Cypress-Inn-TN.html
In this locality was a tavern and blacksmith shop which served travelers on the Natchez Trace from early 19th century days. Its early proprietor who came here in 1818, is buried in the cemetery to the northeast along with members of his family.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMO3L_bear-creek-mound_Tishomingo-MS.html
The village site was occupied as early as 8000 B.C. by hunters who stayed only long enough to prepare their kill. From the time of Christ to 1000 A.D., migratory people of this area practiced limited agriculture.The nearby fields and streams offered an abun…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMO3R_meriwether-lewis_Hohenwald-TN.html
Beneath this monument erected under Legislative Act by the State of Tennessee, A.D., 1848, reposes the dust of Meriwether Lewis, a Captain in the United States Army, Private Secretary to President Jefferson, Senior Commander of the Lewis and Clark Expeditio…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMO40_this-monument-marks-the-old-natchez-trace_Lawrenceburg-TN.html
over which pioneers traveled through Lawrence County, Tennessee, which was organized Oct. 21, 1817.The county seat, Lawrenceburg, was created on Nov. 23, 1819, and named in honor of Capt. James Lawrence, naval hero of the War of 1812.Erected May 15, 1998
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMSLG_dar-and-the-natchez-trace_Natchez-MS.html
Mrs. Egbert Jones and Mrs. Ferriday Byrnes, members of the Mississippi State Society Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR), played important roles in the development of the Natchez Trace Parkway. Mrs. Jones, of Holly Springs, State Regent 1906 - 1908, …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMSP3_natchez-trace_Hohenwald-TN.html
This plainly visible, though long deserted road is a section of The Natchez Trace, evolved from Buffalo and Indian Trails, into The First National Highway of the South-West, cut and opened under authority of the United States Government, after treaties nego…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMYBR_indian-trading-post_Clinton-MS.html
Operated at junction of Natchez Trace and Old Vicksburg Rd. by Robert H. Bell(1783-1835) & his "yellow man Vincent", freed by Bell's will in 1835. Bell-Vincent Scholarship, Millsaps College, endowed with funds from the sale of this land, memorializes master…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM107W_phosphate-mine_Hohenwald-TN.html
From here north for approximately 40 miles the parkway passes through or near a geologic region of limestone rich in phosphate deposits. Abandoned mine shafts in limestone ledges on both sides of the parkway in this immediate area are silent reminders o…
PAGE 1 OF 9