Historical Marker Series

Indiana: Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers

Page 9 of 43 — Showing results 81 to 90 of 430
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM2I2_bulgarian-orthodox-church_Indianapolis-IN.html
Original site of Saint Stephan Bulgarian Orthodox Church in 1915; relocated in 1955 to 1435 North Medford Avenue. Founded by Macedonian and Bulgarian immigrants to fulfill their religious needs and enjoyment of the traditions, customs, and fellowship of the…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM2IC_zerelda-g-wallace_Indianapolis-IN.html
(Front): Born August 6, 1817 in Kentucky and came to Indianapolis with her family in the early 1830s. Was a charter member of the Church of Christ (later Central Christian Church) 1833. Married David Wallace (later governor) 1836. Was first president of Wom…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM2IH_the-old-northside_Indianapolis-IN.html
Vibrant historic district was home to many social, political, commercial, and industrial leaders of Indianapolis during the last half of nineteenth through early twentieth centuries. Revitalization of Old Northside is part of national historic preservation …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM2IP_ovid-butler-sr_Indianapolis-IN.html
(Front): Born 1801 in New York; moved to Indiana 1817. Admitted to bar 1825; became influential lawyer. Settled in Indianapolis 1836. His opposition to slavery on moral and religious grounds was reflected in his political affiliations and support of anti-sl…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM2J9_birthplace-of-wilbur-wright_New-Castle-IN.html
April 16, 1867 - May 30, 1912 Co-inventor of the airplaneWith his brother, Orville,he began studying flight, 1896;built first model airplane, 1899;began gliding, 1900; and achievedfirst successful powered flightat Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, December 17,…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM2JC_east-germantown-civil-war-band_Pershing-IN.html
Band organized in East Germantown; members enlisted in 1862. Assigned to the Twelfth Regiment of Indiana Volunteers. Fought with General Ulysses S. Grant. Marched with General William T. Sherman from Atlanta to the sea.Erected in memory of D.W. Kocher
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM2N2_la-salle-in-indiana_Hamlet-IN.html
(obverse): Ren?-Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La salle, born Rouen, France 1643; died 1687. Emigrated 1666 to New France (near present Montreal, Quebec, Canada). Led explorations 1679-1682 in search of trade, expanded empire for France, and mouth of Mississippi…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM2U0_owen-county-courthouse_Spencer-IN.html
Owen County formed by General Assembly, 1819. Spencer selected county seat, 1820. Neoclassical building designed by Jesse T. Johnson, Indianapolis and built by Christian Kanzler & Son, Evansville (1910-1911),was second courthouse on land donated by Daniel B…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM31K_market-street-temple_Indianapolis-IN.html
Indianapolis Hebrew Congregation (Reform) founded 1856 as state's fourth Jewish congregation. Its temple, first in the city, built here 1865-1868 to serve members in area's German Jewish neighborhood. As membership grew and moved northward, congregation bui…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM35K_camp-hughes_Gosport-IN.html
Civil War training camp for the 59th Indiana Volunteer Infantry in 1861-62 was located one-half mile southwest of Gosport on White River. Named for former Indiana Congressman James Hughes.
PAGE 9 OF 43